When I was four years old, before I went to bed every night, I demanded my dad check the smoke alarm at the top of the stairs was working.
Thanks to this advert, I was petrified of a fire burning down my home while I slept.
TV adverts were a whole lot scarier in the Eighties. But it did its job. We most certainly had a working smoke alarm throughout my entire childhood and beyond.
And with Christmas now SO CLOSE, the scary truth is that people are 50 per cent more likely to die in a house fire over Christmas than at any other time of year. It’s not difficult to see why. Candles? Check. Roaring fires? Check. Fairy lights. Check. Lots of booze? Check.
Which is why you NEED TO CHECK YOUR SMOKE ALARM IS WORKING. And if you don’t have one, get one, for pity’s sake.
This leads me seamlessly into a service which, if you live in Essex, you would be totally mad not to take advantage of.